Towing a car can be dangerous if it is not done properly. Before you go out to tow your own or someone else’s vehicle, read these tips.
Basic security rules
It is clear that the safest way to tow a vehicle is to use a professional tow truck. If you don’t have one, then you can manage with some basic knowledge and good accessories.
But first, always check these three pieces of information:
1. The weight of the vehicle to be towed.
2. The towing capacity of the towing vehicle.
3. Type of equipment available for towing vehicle.
Then, let’s see what are the different possible methods.
With towing straps
If you do not have a trailer hitch, do not go far or just want to get out of a bogged up car and you’re looking for a cost-effective solution, this is the best way.
1. It is always helpful to have such straps, especially if you have a pickup truck, SUV, or other types of trucks, as these are heavier vehicles with better towing capacity.
2. This type of straps is designed for towing and is equipped with hooks designed for vehicle anchor points.
3. Of course, you have to be careful and do not go far or drive fast when pulling a vehicle this way. A driver must always be in the towed vehicle to be able to control it.
With a dolly
The dolly, or towing cart, is an affordable way to tow a car with traction, and in some cases with propulsion. Two wheels are placed on the dolly and the two others remain on the ground. It is very easy to use and very safe, provided you have a suitable trailer attachment.
Rent a trailer tray for car
If the towing vehicle is too heavy for the tow truck, you will need a flatbed trailer that you can also rent. It’s a bit more expensive, but you’ll be able to travel very long distances safely. In addition, some 4×4 vehicles cannot be towed on two or four wheels. This is a great solution if you do not want to use a professional towing expert.
To tow a car with another one
If you go on motorized holidays, then you should know that cars can be attached to the back of your RV. There are systems designed specifically for this purpose, but you can also use a towing dolly for it. If you choose to tow it on its four wheels, make sure that your vehicle’s transmission allows it, and follow the instructions in your car’s guide.